Important Updates Regarding the IAAC Detailed Project Description Submission
Following the Chippewas of Georgina Island First Nation Annual General Meeting, we'd like to inform you of some updates regarding the Fixed Link project:
Project Submission Timeline Adjustment:
The Detailed Project Description (DPD) submission to the Impact Assessment Agency of Canada (IAAC), which was originally scheduled for late Fall, will now be postponed to mid to late January at the earliest. We assure you that an official date will be announced in due course. This decision was reached after careful consideration of the following factors:
- Key Reports Finalization: The finalization of two key reports, namely ecology and coastal engineering, has encountered some unexpected delays. These reports are integral to our submission and require thorough preparation. This has caused subsequent delays in engagement and communication activities essential for IAAC engagement.
- Holiday Season Consideration: We acknowledge the significance of the upcoming holiday season. To respect this period, we have opted to avoid a submission deadline that would require IAAC participants to review complex materials during this time.
- GIFL Website Updates: The necessary website updates for releasing project information online have been finalized. This will make accessing and utilizing project-related information easier for IAAC participants.
To provide comprehensive insights into the technical components of the DPD submission, we will be hosting two important engagement sessions:
- Georgina Island First Nation Technical Community Presentation: Exclusively for First Nation Membership, this session will offer in-depth insights into the technical aspects of the project.
- Technical Town Hall: Open to all, this town hall meeting will provide an opportunity to discuss and gain a deep understanding of the technical information. It also offers a chance to engage directly with our technical team.
The Secretariat is currently finalizing the details regarding the timing and locations of these events. We'll share this information on our website once it's confirmed.
Important note: The DPD final submission will not be scheduled until after these engagement sessions have taken place.
We appreciate your understanding and continued support as we work to ensure that the Fixed Link project proceeds in a transparent, informed, and respectful manner. We will keep you updated on any further developments and look forward to your participation in our upcoming engagement sessions.
Thank you for your continued support and interest in the Fixed Link Project. We'll continue to keep you informed about the Fixed Link project's developments. Please stay tuned for further updates and announcements.
GIFL Project: Cultural Heritage Report
WSP's Cultural Heritage Report for the Georgina Island Fixed Link Project identifies key heritage sites and plans mitigation measures, with ongoing updates to include more First Nation elements.
Fixed link is ‘the promise of a better future’ for Chippewas of Georgina Island First Nation
Community adhering to Impact Assessment Agency of Canada process to assess potential impacts on Lake Simcoe: Chief Donna Big Canoe
GIFL Project: Preliminary Assessment of Geotechnical Conditions
A desktop study was carried out to collect information on ground conditions in the project area from previous geotechnical investigations and geological maps/reports.